This Sabbath we continue steps toward returning to our full church operations.
After input from the elders' committee and an open board meeting, both online and in-person, our next step will be to reopen Sabbath Schools, Prayer Meeting and other small groups.
PLEASE NOTE: There are still inherent risks in group gatherings. If you come to church, you are coming at your own risk. Please come only if you are comfortable doing so. We will still provide our full online worship options, and no one will think poorly of you if you choose to remain virtually connected with us in order to protect your health.
Wearing face masks are recommended but not required. If you choose not to wear a mask, please be courteous to those who do and keep an extra distance from them.
I look forward to seeing those of you who choose to come to church this Sabbath.
Here's a quick rundown of how things will look this Sabbath.
If you choose to continue worshiping with us online, you will find all the videos on our website, Highlandadventist.org.
- Sabbath School 9:30 AM
- Children and teen Sabbath School classes will be prerecorded as before.
- Adult Sabbath School will be streamed from one of the live classes.
- Worship service 10:45 AM
- This will be available as a live stream which can be accessed through the button on our homepage or at our Youtube channel, youtube.com/c/highlandadventist
- Before you come
- Please assess your family's health and risk factors.
- If you have been sick or around people who are sick, PLEASE STAY HOME.
- Please do the self-health check (see Sidebar or below, depending on your device) before coming. We trust our church family to responsible and respectful in not putting others at risk.
- Adult Sabbath School 9:30 AM
- Sabbath School Superintendant remarks
- Divide for classes. Most classes will meet in the sanctuary. Pastor Steve's class will meet in the fellowship hall and will be streamed online.
- Sabbath School ends at 10:30 AM
- Children/Teen Sabbath school 9:30 AM
- Each class will meet at their normal time. Some classes may choose to meet outside. This will be noted on the door.
- PLEASE NOTE: It is not realistic to expect children to social distance while interacting in a Sabbath School environment. Rather than promising something we cannot deliver, please be aware that if you bring your kids to Sabbath School they will likely be in close contact with others. If you bring them you are agreeing to that risk.
- ANOTHER NOTE: If your child is sick (with anything contagious) please, PLEASE, do not expose other children to it. Do not ignore it or pretend it is ok. DO NOT bring sick kids to Sabbath School. I am emphasizing this because we have had reports of people bringing obviously sick kids to Sabbath school in the past.
- Worship Service 10:45 AM
- We will still have a slightly modified worship service for the benefit of our online brothers and sisters.
- Please enter through the middle doors and exit through the side doors.
- The deacons will open the doors and clean the door handles occasionally during the worship service.
- Please sit in the marked pews.
- Please sit as family groups and leave space between family groups.
- Tithe and offering will continue to be collected in a container in the foyer.
- Fellowship Meals
- Official church fellowship meals remain suspended for the time being. However, you are encouraged to fellowship with other church members outside of the officially planned events of the church.
- The Lord's Supper and foot washing ceremonies will be delayed for the time being.
After being on hiatus for Hope Awakens and Camp meeting, We will resume prayer meeting tonight, June 3, at 6:30 PM. Like the worship service, we will have both online and in person options available. If you would like to join via Zoom go to highlandadventist.org/meetingroom. Please come prepared to spend much time in prayer.
Self Health Screening
Be sure you’re healthy. In lieu of health screening at the door of the church, we are asking you to screen yourselves and your family before coming to church.
If you or anyone in your family can answer “yes” to any of the following 6 questions, please stay home.
- Do you have a fever? (temperature should not exceed 100.4 degrees)
- Have you been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
- Are you experiencing a cough, shortness of breath, or sore throat?
- Have you had a fever in the last 48 hours?
- Have you had new loss of taste or smell?
- Have you had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours?
- Consider wearing a face covering.
- Maintain at least a 6-foot distance between household units at all times.
- No handshaking, hugging, etc.
- Limit the use of restroom facilities and drinking fountain to as little as possible.
- Wash hands and bring and utilize hand sanitizer.
<UPDATE June 5, 2020>
Here's an important update for the Children's and Teen Sabbath school classes.
The kid's Sabbath School Council met on Wednesday night to discuss how best to run their Sabbath school program. Here are a few points parents should be aware of.
When your kids come in we ask that all people enter on the covered drive side. Before going into their class, you are asked to stop by the registration table and fill out a simple health check questionnaire. Since some of the classes will be recording their classes for our online congregation, there will be an option if you do not want your kids on camera. Once the health questionnaire is filled out the kids will have a "ticket" to join their class.
Also, some of the teachers plan to have all or part of their classes outside, so be aware of that when choosing your kid's clothes.
Kindergarten Class will start at 10:00 this week. The rest of the classes begin at 9:30 AM.
PLEASE NOTE: It is not realistic to expect children to social distance while interacting in a Sabbath School environment. Rather than promising something we cannot deliver, please be aware that if you bring your kids to Sabbath School they will likely be in close contact with others. If you bring them you are agreeing to that risk.
We understand that this may be a bit more cumbersome than normal, but please understand that most churches are not having any programs for their children yet. We feel that Children's Sabbath School is very important, so we have stepped out in faith in reopening before most churches, but we also want to take reasonable steps to reduce the risk to the kids and their teachers. Please be respectful of these concerns and if your kids are sick with anything, not just Covid-19, keep them home. It is unkind and unfair to expose other kids to colds, the flu, and other ailments and it could force us to shut down again.