St. Vincent and the Grenadines: On April 9th 2021 the La Soufriere volcano, situated on the northern part of Saint Vincent Island, erupted, and continued erupting for over a week, sometimes twice a day, sending plumes of ash, rocks and poisonous gases into the air as high as 53k feet. The continued eruptions have caused serious damage to agricultural, animal life, and contamination of the water supply. Ash has covered the entire island, and in some areas it's more than two feet thick. Many house roofs have collapsed from the weight of the ash and experts say it will take years for Saint Vincent's agriculture to come back, which is the backbone of the economy there are about 16,000 to 20,000 people in shelters. The Seventh-day Adventist mission there has asked for assistance. Presently they are providing meals for 600 people twice a day.
We will be collecting items to be shipped to the Adventist mission. They can be brought to the Highland Academy gym (211 Highland Circle Drive, Portland, TN 37148). The Highland Community Services Ministry will ship them to the Adventist Mission in Saint Vincent to be distributed directly to those in need.
Drop off times:
Raphan Ley Auditorium (Highland Academy Gym): 211 Highland Circle Dr. Portland, TN 37148
Drop off times:
Sabbath, May 8th from 3:00 to 5:00 PM.
Sunday May 9th from 10 to 2:00 PM.
Following is a list of items that they have asked for.
- Non perishable food items in parentheses rice, peas, flour, oats, corn , carnation milk, spices, seasonings, macaroni/pastas, protein products, soy chunks, flakes, codfish etc )
- Sanitary items
- children's diapers
- children's clothing all sizes.
- baby formula
- disposable food eating items
- paper towels and napkins
- toiletries (soaps , shampoos, creams, lotions etc)
- bed linens
- clothing for children, men and women (new or used in good condition)
- male and female underwear (new)
- insect repellent cleaning/ scrubbing supplies
- petroleum Jelly
- toothbrush , toothpaste
- vegetable seeds of varying kinds and quantities
- Coloring books for children and crayons
- Children's Story books
- Children's games
- Flip Flops all sizes
- Treats for the children (Non-melting)
Gently used clothing, shoes, accessories, and other items. Nothing over $2.00.
Hours of Operation: Sunday 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Tuesday 9:30 am – 12:00 noon
Located on the campus of Highland Academy
Highland Circle Drive
Our community services exists to serve our community in Christ’s name. We operate a Food Bank and Thrift Store on the campus of Highland Academy.
Leader: Elaine Cantrell
Contact Information: 615-519-8785